About This Item
Dentist administers anesthesia
Philadelphia General Hospital
Dentist with assistant administer anesthesia to a patient with an anesthesia mask.
Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 30, photo no. 40
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
between 1904 and 1906
History, 20th Century
Is Part Of
Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980. Blockley photographs
1 photograph : sepia
9 x 11 cm
Hunter, Robert J. (Robert John), 1882-1980, “Dentist administers anesthesia,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed September 24, 2023, https://cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/855.