About This Item
Philadelphia Bureau of Health
Philadelphia (Pa.). Dept. of Public Health
Southeast corner of front and Tasker Streets.
Back of image: identification
Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 16, photo no. 43
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.
Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia
1916 October 29
History, 20th Century
20.5 x 25.5 cm
“Philadelphia Bureau of Health,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed June 2, 2023, https://cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/779.