The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library

Surgical Operation

About This Item

Title

Surgical Operation

Subject

Operating Rooms
General surgery
Surgical Instruments
Physicians
Nurses
Blockley Almshouse
Philadelphia General Hospital
Reynolds, C. R.
Kluttz, W. C.
Photographs

Description

Resident physicians and four nurses present around table.
Front of image: C. R. Reynolds on left, W. C. Kluttz. Possibly Major General R. Reynolds.
C. R. Reynolds and W. C. Kluttz were resident physicians at PGH in 1899.

Source

Original image: Philadelphia General Hospital Photograph Collection, Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, box 11, photo no. 7
Philadelphia General Hospital was originally part of the Philadelphia Almshouse, which was founded in 1731 for the city’s poor, elderly and indigent. Nicknamed “Old Blockley,” because of its location in Blockley Township of West Philadelphia, the hospital was renamed Philadelphia General Hospital in 1919. The hospital eventually closed in 1977. The images in this collection have been compiled from a number of sources but appear to be predominantly from the personal photo albums of attending physicians.

Publisher

Digitized by the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia

Date

ca. 1899

Type

StillImage

Identifier

PGH_11_7

Temporal Coverage

History, 19th Century

Spatial Coverage

Philadelphia

Original Format

1 photograph

Physical Dimensions

35 x 35 cm

Citation

“Surgical Operation,” The College of Physicians of Philadelphia Digital Library, accessed May 29, 2024, https://cppdigitallibrary.org/items/show/738.